Ethiopian considers children from the age of 5 to end of 11 years who are traveling alone on Ethiopian or Other Airline as Unaccompanied Minors. Escort service is mandatory for unaccompanied minors aged between 5 to end of 11 traveling on a code share flight but escort is optional on Ethiopian flights provided only when special attention is requested by the guardian.
Ethiopian considers youth between the ages of 12 to17 as unaccompanied minors as well if special attention is required by youth’s parents or guardian. If the flight is operated by Ethiopian Airlines that is if the flight is none code share flight, there is no need for escort and service fee payment for a minor aged between the ages of 12 to 17 unless special attention is requested. If, however, the flight is not operated by Ethiopian Airlines, that is if the flight is code share flight operated by other airlines, the minor aged between 12 to 17 shall be required to pay adult fare plus service fee of USD 100.But escort service is still not mandatory even on code share flights unless special attention requested for this age group.
Please refer Unaccompanied Minors service and escort fees table below for detailed information.Currently United Airline does not offer unaccompanied minor service connecting to or from other airline’ flights. For more information please visit United Airline website click here.
- Unaccompanied minors under the age of five (5) years shall not be accepted on all Ethiopian flights without accompanying family member.
- A Company escort (cabin crew) is optional for unaccompanied minors between the ages of 5 to end of 11 years on domestic/ international routes operated by Ethiopian(Non codeshare flights).
- An escort can be provided by Ethiopian, at an applicable charge, on both domestic and international routes.
- Prior to issuance of ticket, the client should fill an Unaccompanied Minor Form with complete addresses and telephone numbers of all the responsible persons involved who will be responsible at origin, intermediate (if transfer is involved) and destination stations.
- In the event that arrangement cannot be made by a parent or guardian to receive the child at transfer point and no escort service is requested, Ethiopian will assist in making arrangements for a suitable custodian without, accepting any liability. This arrangement of such custodianship is for children who are 12 and above years of age.
IV. Unaccompanied Minors service and Escort fees
The following fares shall apply for the transportation of unaccompanied minors on international routes.
NON CODE SHARE FLIGHT
Service Fee Company
International Route Domestic Route> 5 to End of 11 years Adult fare Mandatory at USD100.00
Mandatory at ETB200.00
Optional 12 to end of 17 years Adult fare Optional Optional Optional
For age group 5 to end of 11 years, If escort is requested the applicable charge is Child Fare + One way adult fare for Escort + Service charge.
Youth from 12-17 years will pay USD 100.00 one way if special attention is required.
CODE SHARE FLIGHT
Applicable Fare Company Escort
5 to End of 11 years Adult fare + service fee
Mandatory One way adult fare 12 to End of 17 years Adult fare + service fee
Additional applicable charge should be collected for interline carriage for both non code share and code share flights.
Unaccompanied minors between the ages of 5 to end of 11 years will be accepted for transportation on domestic routes with Company escort by paying one way of the adult fare for the company escort and ETB 200 service fee. Unaccompanied minors between the ages of 12 to 18 can travel without escort by filling UM form and paying ETB 200 service fee. (For more information please contact your travel agency or Ethiopian ticket office.)
Unaccompanied minor form CLICK HERE
These pages are for informative purposes only and do not form a contract. As such, any information contained within this site is subject to change with or without notice. Ethiopian Airlines assumes no liability for these changes. Ethiopian also reserves the right to interpret and apply these policies and procedures. In each case, Ethiopian’s interpretations and applications shall be final and conclusive.