I. Special Assistance
Ethiopian Airlines always pleased to provide convenient and comfortable service
to all our esteemed passengers who require special individual assistance. It is
our constant effort to meet these needs to the best of our ability. The following
information is provided to help customers who might be traveling for medical treatment
If MEDA travel itinerary includes airlines other than Ethiopian, please check
directly with that airline as different policies and procedures may apply.
For Passengers with Reduced Mobility traveling on the sector Addis Ababa – Washington
DC or vice versa, different policies and procedures apply. To view the details,
please use the following link:
Services for Customers with reduced mobility traveling to/from USA
II. Medical Information Form (MEDIF)
Passengers with certain medical conditions and passengers requiring special care
during the flight are required to complete our MEDIF form. The MEDIF Form under
information Sheet for passenger Requiring Special assistance is to be completely
filled up by the passenger or his authorized representative, in case the passenger
is unable to do so.
While the other part under information Sheet for passenger Requiring Medical
clearance has to be filled up by the physician in charge of the invalid passenger
and provides information about the clinical condition of the passenger. It is mandatory
to complete the MEDIF including the treating physician’s certification and the undertaking/passenger
declaration at the end of the MEDIF.
III. Handling Procedure
- Duly completed MEDIF Forms should be forwarded to our Medical Unit &
Health Services in Addis Ababa or designated/approved physician’s 48hrs prior
to the date of flight to secure approval for acceptance.
- Ethiopian Airlines doctor’s or designated/approved physician’s decision
regarding fitness of passenger / requirement of medical escort will be final.
- If at time of embarkation the condition of the passenger has further deteriorated,
carriage may be refused.
- Any case which Ethiopian Airlines feels might jeopardize the safety or operation
of the aircraft will not be accepted.
- Passengers are requested to carry all medications that they may require
in-flight in their hand luggage. Passengers who have a medical condition are
also requested to carry all details regarding their illness (including hospital
discharge cards, treatment details, relevant medical history details, doctor's
certificates, etc) as well as the recommended treatment in case of an anticipated
emergency, in their hand luggage.
- It is not possible for cabin crew to refrigerate passenger medications,
and if this is required, passengers should carry their own cool bag or vacuum
- Inform our reservation staff at the time of reservation that the passenger
traveling is a medically ill passenger. The MEDIF Form has to be filled by the
doctor treating the Passenger.
- Please use the following link to download the MEDIF forms in one file:
Forms for Passengers Requiring
IV. Equipment and Support
Ethiopian can provide any of the following equipments or service if requested:
Ethiopian ensures that:
- Sufficient wheelchairs are available for boarding/disembarking passengers.
- The carriage of Wheelchair- C for cabin seat ( WCHC) case passengers
is restricted on our international and domestic flights as follow in order
to comply with the requirement of air safety:
- Two individual WCHC case passengers will be carried in C-9 and five
in Economy class.
- Five WCHC case passengers in group will be carried in C-9 and eight
in Economy class
- Passengers traveling with their own wheelchair or assistive devices
may carry the same in the passenger cabin, on request, subject to availability
of space. Alternatively, the wheelchair or assistive devices should be loaded
in the baggage hold where it is easily accessible for timely return to the
- Passengers, who intend to check-in their own wheelchair, are given the
option of using the airline/airport wheelchair. If the passenger wishes
to use his own wheelchair at the airport he may be permitted to do so, up
to the aircraft door. The wheelchair duly tagged, must then be sent for
loading in the hold.
- Narrow wheelchair-type devices without arm rests are available on some
of or the aircrafts in the passenger cabin for assistance on-board.
- A request for a stretcher must be made in prior to 48 hr and shall be
strictly subject to space availability.
- Stretcher cases are acceptable only after clearance from the carrier
medical department or designated physicians and confirmation of the quantity
of oxygen to be carried will be determined by the Medical Officer.
- Where Interline travel on other airlines is involved, advance arrangements
with the carrier is necessary regarding confirmation on special meals, medicines,
oxygen, ambulance and other requirements.
- Stretcher passenger is accepted in Economy class only.
- There must be qualified personnel accompanying stretcher passenger.
- Passenger Requiring Oxygen
- Ethiopian will provide in flight oxygen service for passengers on all
its flights with ant Extra charge
- Passengers will be required to give 48 hour notice.
- Passengers must present a written statement from his /her physician
certifying the need for in-flight oxygen service ,the maximum usage per
hour and the oxygen flow rate per minute
- Passenger must be accompanied by an attendant who is knowledgeable as
to the passenger’s needs and in the operation of the equipment .However,
when authorized by Ethiopian medical services, a passenger requiring oxygen
may travel alone.
- Lifting services
- Devices for supporting limbs
Availability of equipment may be limited
at certain airports. Please enquire your travel agent or the nearest Ethiopian
These pages are for informative purposes only and do not form a contract. As
such, any information contained within this site is subject to change with or without
notice. Ethiopian Airlines assumes no liability for these changes. Ethiopian also
reserves the right to interpret and apply these policies and procedures. In each
case, Ethiopian’s interpretations and applications shall be final and conclusive.